Jun 24, 2009

Candy for the country folks

(Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay)

I went to a concert last night. What’s so special about it? It was my first ever country music concert. And the first ever concert where I was sitting and watching. Before I left I was very skeptical about it. I didn’t know what to expect. I pictured a usual concert, with a dark stage lit by colored lights and a band and music instruments, audience yelling and cheering the musicians. Perfect!

So my first question to myself was – What should I wear? Well, not too hard, I decided to wear a white self patterned (striped) buttoned-up military shirt with destroyed cut-off denim shorts and gladiator sandals. It’s a country music concert right… Perfect!

So we reached Humphrey’s Concert by the Bay. To my surprise, the set up was completely different than what I thought it would be. The four main singers - Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin and Buddy Miller – were on the stage, together. There was no band, they play their own music. And yeah the audience was not the screaming kind. They were calm old white people, sitting and enjoying the music (there goes my first ‘perfect’ in a ditch, for good). Surprisingly, I liked it. I liked how people were enjoying the music and having fun. There were no MCs. The singers were just talking to themselves and to the people. I loved it. So casual, so laid back, so much fun :)

My second ‘perfect’ hit the ditch, when I felt the chilly California June breeze. Yeah! I should have worn jeans and brought a jacket. It was an open air concert. Lovely! We were seated by the ocean, overlooking the water and the boats. There were some free-bees who parked there boat right by the theater and were enjoying the music from there. Like a boat party was going on for them. Fun times! - Thank you Preston!

One more thing that you can do in San Diego… :)

TIP: Never leave home without a light sweater/jacket.